I grew up an Oakland A's fan and was quite devoted to them. Anytime we'd visit my grandparents they made sure we got to a game. My Dad grew up going to A's games at the Oakland Coliseum and my grandpa tore a patch of grass out of the field after the A's won the world series and planted it in his yard. Following in the example of my family, I was a devoted fan.
Then...
I got married.
Now my life revolves around New England sports. Currently, the Red Sox. I tried to fight it for awhile and maintain my A's fanhood but I realized one day that my marital happiness, quite honestly, depended on my loyalty to the Sox. I must now admit I am a full-fledged fan of the Boston Red Sox (as well as the Celtics. Im not sold on the Pats). I love watching them play. I know their roster, strengths, weaknesses, and celeb gossip. And I really enjoy it. It probably helps that my in-laws took me to Fenway this summer which really sealed the deal. So now as the play-offs continue, you can find Matt and I happily seated side by side on the couch screaming at the tv and trying to predict what the next at-bat will bring. Marital happiness.
9 comments:
haha, yes, I'm sure your conversion to the SOX greatly helps your marriage. I know how hard core matt is. Keep cheering on those sox!
I totally know how you feel! Boston sports take over my home all year round...with the Sox, Pats, Celtics. I grew up a Mariners fan, but finally gave into the pressure of the red sox! The first weekend Jon and I ever kissed, he gave me a "Yankees Suck" t-shirt. I guess it comes with the territory:)
Sell out.
Do I really need to say more? A's all the way. I am not a fair weather fan.
Go DODGERS!!!!
Oh, you SO do not want to fight me on this one. I married a Giants fan. Let's see...hmmm.... yep, I'm still an A's fan. So let me repeat... sell out!
We do what we have to do to keep peace - as you can imagine through the years I have learned to have my own TV. I'll never tell who my team favorites are.
I like Grandma's way of thinking... my own TV and secret teams! There is no way I could ever have enough sports knowledge to keep up with you Toni, or my own husband for that matter! So, I say truce... and to quote Grandma, "We do what we have to do to keep peace." I'm bowing out gracefully. All I ask is that while you love the red sox, you still love the A's. :)
In your picture of coco crisp throwing a punch at shields (he missed by the way) coco was totally owned by the rest of the team. He took a serious beat down. Check it out on You Tube. Hmmm.. do I hear a band wagon!
Go Timlin!!!!
grow a pair, anonymous *
Post a Comment