Friday, June 13, 2008

Perfect Moments

So I've been talking to my mom about this lately, the idea of perfect moments. Everyone has had at least one and they can come at any time, place, with any person.  It can be a whole day or just 30 seconds.
Since I've been in New Hampshire I've already had several and I'm realizing how easily I forget these glimpses of perfection. So, I've resolved to carry a notebook around so I can just write a paragraph here or there whenever I feel like it (my mom's idea... she's smart).  I'll share a couple that I plan to document in my handy dandy notebook.

Just earlier this week the weather was hot, thick, and humid. I loved it. I spent my days out by the pool hanging out with my ma-in-law, and reading "The Secret Life of Bees". At night I watched the Red Sox and the Celtics with the whole Cook Crew. Perfection. To add to that, one night while watching a game, a lighting storm started off in the distance and when it finally was in the backyard, 7 flashes of lightning would spark before the thunder would crash.

 I stepped outside and sat on the steps in the backyard enjoying the sticky heat and the magical display above me. For a moment I remembered being 10 or 11 and my mom waking me up in the middle of the night to go sit out on the front porch with her to watch the storm. She'd even let us kids run out into the puddles in our pajamas once the downpour hit.  As I sat on the steps there was no rain to dance in, but I enjoyed my old memory and in the same moment, made a new one.

I had a great moment today, and it confirmed to me another reason to love East Coast people.  They love to make small talk and they are genuinely interested in what you have to say, at least that has been my experience thus far.

Today at the gym I got on a bike next to a man in his 70's, he was probably 5'2". I paid no attention as his buddy walked over and in a Boston accent said, "Hey Ray, where are you going today?"  Ray took a minute to catch his breath and said, "New York today Otis."  I figured he was talking business. Then Otis smiled at me and said to Ray, "I bet you woke up once this pretty girl sat down next to you," turning to me "You would wake anybody up I bet."  I laughed, embarrassed, and said I doubted it but thanks.  

Otis continued talking to me saying "I always ask Ray where he is going in his mind on that bike. Sometimes it's New York, Minnesota, the Cape. He just goes places." Ray grinned at me, a warm grandpa grin. I grinned back, wondering where he was at that moment.  

Awhile later when I got off the bike to leave Ray said, surprised, "Exactly how tall are you?!" ( I can't count how many times I've been asked this in my life.) "Almost 6 feet." I realized I was towering over this miniature old man on a bike. "Good for you," he said. "I hope you got a letter in high school sports or something. It's great to be tall. You be proud."  I said I was and that I did get some letters and then I thanked him for the chat and walked away.

There is  so much to be enjoyed during our day to day interactions with other people. I don't shy away from chatting with strangers anymore. Yeah there is the occasional weirdy (stacie's term) but there is also a chance that someone you've never met will make you smile, laugh, and make you want to bike to New York in your mind.


3 comments:

Sarah Nelson said...

What a great idea to write down these perfect moments and what a cute old man! How sweet. It's funny, for some reason I've checked your blog more than once today so I was surprised when you added a new entry! I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

haha, i got you saying weirdy :) and you didnt take a that picture of the lightnig did you? thats crazy! and Im jealous :(

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart - Perfect!