My Dad used to have quotes from Chinese philosophers all over his classroom. When we'd visit him I'd try to memorize as many as possible. Some have stayed with me. As cliche as it might be to have Chinese wisdom floating around in your brain, I've thought of the above quote a lot lately. A little because of the adventure Matt and I will soon embark on, but mainly because my youngest sister Chloe is about to begin her college career at BYU! I envy so much about the stage she is in. I vividly remember all the emotions that come with your college acceptance letter, high school graduation, first night in the dorms, first test in the testing center, all of it.

I'm only starting to understand what my parents meant every time they'd say "you have so much life ahead of you." That's how I feel about where Chloe is at. I'm so excited for all that she will experience, all of the inevitable highs and lows, because it's all part of finding yourself. Who you really are. The best part is, you get to choose. Every decision along the way is yours, and whatever you want to do or be is up to you. What could be more exciting than that!? I loved my college experience. Every bit of it. I learned from the hard times and lived it up during the good. The cruel joke is that you can never go back :)

I'm so proud of Chloe, she is so smart, beautiful, talented, genuine, kind, and just plain amazing. I know she is going to thrive at BYU and I can't wait to see all that she will accomplish over the next several years. I just wish I'd still be in Provo to hang out with her and my sisters. I've loved being home-base for my sisters, cousins, and brothers-in-law over the past couple years but times are changing. Chloe--you just need to know that even though I'll be in a different state, I'm always available for whatever you need. That has been the long standing policy with Stacie and Megan, they know they can call me anytime day or night for absolutely anything. Even though I wont have a home-cooked meal waiting for you down the road, I'll still be waiting to talk or listen. Anytime.
Go Cougars.
*photos courtesy ashley swapp photography*
1 comment:
getting to CHOOSE really IS the best part. You don't find the happy life....you make it!!
Umm...so why does this post get me just a hair choked up in the throat. Just a bit. Maybe because its obvious theres such an amazing connection and bond between you sisters, even I feel it.
College was in a way the best time of my life- even when it was hard it was so gratifying to figure things out as a 'big girl' on my own without mom and dad down the hallway. Then again we were never REALLY alone, were we. Cloe has us too! I should have all the sisters over for dinner!! Yes I should! She is SO BEautiful!I LOVE her smile and dimple on the right side!
Ps my hard times in college were THEE very times that I swear have really defined me today. There is a quote that goes something like this-- "its not our ability that defines who we are, it's our choices." I think I heard it on Batman LOL but I keep thinking about it.
Your parents must be beyond proud! All their daughters, not to mention good looking daughters, got into BYU?! No pressure CJ!!!!
Post a Comment