Friday, April 17, 2009

Finals Week & a Tangent.

I miss school, but I definitely don't miss finals week. I see Matt for roughly 20 minutes (total) each day. He had a scheduled final this morning. 7a.m. on a SATURDAY?? Cruel. He is studying like mad but it is paying off and I am very proud of him.

       ( I love his scruff! I know Grandpa Dave prefers a clean shaven Matt, but I think it's sexy:) )
He got a great internship in Salt Lake for the summer so it looks like "Best Summer Ever '09" will be in full swing in a couple months. Even better, next Friday we will be relaxing together on a beach in Kauai.
(A beach much warmer than this one!)

Tangent:   Here is a little dedication as promised to my lovely hairstylist Sydney. After spending a some time in her chair a couple months ago talking about life goals & travel, she finally told me stop waiting and making excuses and just make it happen. She is out and traveling to new places all the time! So I have decided to continually take that approach with things I want to do. It's thanks to her pushing, er, encouragement that we booked our trip :) haha!

I've also talked a lot with my cousin Truly lately and have learned so much about parenting, marriage, and life in general.  They took time for their relationship before having kids, as did my parents. Both groups have stressed to me that once you have kids life changes and it's not a bad thing at all, it just makes life more complicated. I'm glad Matt and I decided to live these years of our life focusing our time on each other and having adventures together. We will definitely be better parents after having this time to work on OUR relationship. Someday we'll have some great stories to share with our kids. 

Lastly, another thing Sydney and I talked about was how blogs portray peoples lives as being all too perfect. I don't buy it, we aren't meant to be SO in love and SO happy all the time. I do however realize that I am a private person when it comes to my relationships so I don't share the negatives. My life is great, rarely perfect, but I like to share happy things. Not fake, forced lovey dovey crap that makes people gag and think "yeah right." I'd  just rather share happy memories. Anyway, those are my thoughts for the day.

 

4 comments:

Christina and Ryan said...

Toni, don't worry, your blog isn't like a "my husband/marriage/life is perfect!" blog because you don't go out of your way to talk about how perfect everything is all of the time. You portray things in a positive light but they are real experiences. Two good examples: you wrote about how you are more manly than Matt when it comes to bugs/birds in your house. You also wrote something about trying to go to third base with Matt and being shot down. Amazing.

Sarah Nelson said...

I'm with you on the sharing happy things! If I want to vent, I use other methods. The reason I started this blog in the first place was so the far away friends and family could see the fun stuff going on in our lives so they wouldn't feel like they are missing out... I mean, how many people say, "Gee, I'm really upset that you didn't tell me about the fight you and Greg had the other day. I really feel like I'm missing out on your life!" Ha ha... Plus, blogging always gets me focusing on the positive things in life and I think people need that now, especially with so many people struggling during this economic crisis. Umm... and I totally love the comment above! Third base...shot down...hee hee. We all have our moments. :)

Nat-a-baby said...

Toni! I'm so glad I found your blog and that it is not private!! i am so agravated with private blogs! Anyway, I am so glad that you wrote what you did about waiting on the kids and taking time to develop your relationship. Joe and I have also decided to take the same route. Your hair color looks great, by the way... a little darker than usual, but not dark enough to make Father Stauffer upset. I'm glad you guys are having some adventures and going on trips. That's so awesome!! Joe and my trip this year will be moving to Missouri for Med school. Of course, we'll get those summer vacations in with our families too. I'll attach your blog to mine. Ours is http://natandjoe.blogspot.com if you're interested!

chadandsydney said...

I'm patting myself on the back now about your trip.... And BLA BLA BLA perfect my behind. :) XOXO You make me sound crazy by the way.