Remember when I was 41 weeks pregnant and looked like this?? Now it feels like forever ago.
Anyway I went to my 41 week appt. and was really glad when my doctor said there was no need to induce. Baby and placenta were strong and healthy and I "had enough fluid for two babies." Ha. I really didn't want to be induced, I wanted the completely natural experience. But as days continued to pass I wondered exactly what was going to happen.

Friday I took a nap and woke up to mild contractions around 5:30pm. I was beyond excited to feel contractions with some pain in them instead of the false ones I'd had all week. They continued to build, when Matt got home from work around 7:30 I wanted to go on a walk to kick things in to high gear. Around 9pm the contractions were 8 minutes apart. I called the doctor to give him a heads up. He said to call back when they were 5 minutes apart because it would be time to go to the hospital.
Matt rented a movie to pass the time, all the while I just kept timing contractions hoping I'd be heading to the hospital soon. I didn't realize this was labor and it was only a matter of time. We (Matt) went to bed a little after midnight--there was no way I could sleep through the contractions but I laid down hoping for rest in between. However I quickly realized laying down made them worse. Then they were three minutes apart. I paced our apartment for an hour while Matt slept. I didn't want to go to the hospital too early, but soon I felt it was time to head out.
We left around 3:30am and were in the triage at 4 only to find I was just dialated to 2.5 so I had to walk the halls. We walked for an hour and I'll never forget in the midst of a particularly painful contraction I looked up and saw a lady being pushed in a wheelchair holding her brand new baby totally entranced by that little face. I thought "Can't I just skip ahead to THAT moment?" Alas, I could not.
When they checked me again I was at 3.5 and they admitted us. I was so relieved because that meant I would for sure be meeting my baby in a matter of hours. The moment of truth came when my nurse said I could have the epidural at anytime. I told her I didn't want anything- no epidural no drip etc. I've always wanted to deliver without any medication to really experience what my body is capable of. The past nine months I looked at it as though I was training for a sporting event.
As intimidating and as painful as it felt, I knew it wouldn't last forever and I knew I could do it. My mom has always encouraged mental toughness-- she always says mind over matter can get you through a LOT. After refusing the pain meds my doctor came in to break my water to really get the ball rolling.
I got up and labored standing in the shower for who knows how long...I lost all track of time and was totally in this focused zone. I barely remember saying anything to the nurses or Matt. Just had my eyes closed, grabbed the safety railing in the shower and got through the contractions one at a time. I don't really understand the moaning or yelling that you hear about women doing. That would've taken too much energy. I just wanted everyone quiet so I could stay focused through the pain. Matt says I was in the shower for over 2 hours and then the doc came back to check me. I was at a 9.5 and would be pushing soon.
The short story is a little over 2 hours of pushing and an episiotomy later and we welcomed our beautiful daughter into the world. And it was amazing. Matt was such a champ the whole time, saying all the right things to keep me focused (also not saying too much to annoy me!) and keeping the cool washcloth on my forehead. When he told me he could see her head and that she had hair (I really hoped she would!) it was the motivation I needed to get through the end. I couldn't wait to see her. Neither one of us knew what to expect going in but he did and said all the right things which was so comforting. They put her right on my chest once she was out and I loved how sticky and warm she was. She just stared up at Matt and I. He cut the cord and we just looked at each other, amazed that it was all over!
I've never been so exhausted and so happy at the same time. It was the best feeling, a way bigger endorphin rush than skydiving! I'm all about natural delivery now that I know exactly what to expect and will definitely be doing it again. It's the adrenaline junkie in me :)
Callie Vienna Cook
September 17th 2011 1:41pm
8lbs. 13oz 22 inches
and a 14 inch head. Yep. Worth every push.
2 days old at home admiring the chub and long legs.
One week old
Meeting Grandma for the first time
Meeting Grandpa for the first time
2 weeks old going on a walk with Mom and Gma in the moby.
This is what Matt calls the Grumps face. It is her signature look and I love it!
They look SO much alike!
Cal is now over 3 weeks old---I really hate this growing up stuff. She looks like a completely different baby now. My once 8lb 13 oz baby is now over 10lbs and she grew an inch. My mom thinks she looks like a toddler in this pic with her legs hanging off either side. Tall people make tall babies I guess:)
My parents were here together for a week and then my mom stayed an extra week to help me out when Matt went back to work. I am so extremely grateful for EVERYTHING they did for our new little family.
The first week home was just Matt and I--we wanted to have to totally rely on each other. It was a really sweet time and was great for us to bond with Cal, but by the end of the week we were SO EXCITED for the extra help coming in haha.
The extra arms to hold Callie, groceries, meals, nap time and time for super long showers was so appreciated. Not to mention the emotional support and parenting guidance:) It was just the best having them here. I love seeing my parents as Grandparents.
I was surprised at how emotional I felt watching my own mom and dad hold my very own daughter for the first time. It's a big moment connecting generations where you just see the Lord's plan in action. I'll never forget it.
Today Matt is at work and all the extra help is gone. It's me and my baby girl...and it's awesome.

















13 comments:
YOU ARE AWESOME! Love that you powered through a natural deliver-it really is amazing. PS That sweetpea is so freaking cute I can't stand it. Congrats on everything!
I love love loved this. You are a champ. Do you know that? You handle everything with such strength and grace...I wish I could be more like you. AND you are gorgeous...even during delivery.
She is a doll. I am glad you are doing well, and hope you are getting some sleep. Congrats mom :)
Congratulations! She is beautiful! I can totally see some Matt in her!
Congrats to your little family! You are so amazing! You look gorgeous and your baby girl is so sweet! I hope you're soaking up those baby moments because they are gone so fast! I'm so happy for you!
Toni, are you such a strong woman. Physically, emotionally, spiritually, everything. You are amazing and I look up to you. Literally and figuratively :)
Callie is beautiful and so are you. You and Matt are definitely awesome parents! Also, maybe you could tell me how you got your Moby wrap on because I never could figure that out.
These pictures are so precious. She is darling and I loved seeing your Mom and Dad being grandparents. I know my son can get emotional, but I loved it. Toni, I love you so much and know that you and Matt will make awesome parents.
Congrats you guys! She is absolutely beautiful and you will make the best parents! I'm so so happy for you. You look amazing through it all too, of course.
she is adorable!! there is absolutely nothing like a newborn. and you're right. the growing up thing is hard for me too. i get baby hungry within weeks of delivery because i want to do it all over again. but trust me when i say it just keeps getting better and better.
Congrats! I've been waiting to hear the story and see pictures. She is so cute! Great job!
Oh my goodness, so many thoughts...
1.) I am so glad for the blog post. I have been dying waiting for pictures of my new niece!
2.) She is seriously the cutest little squishy thing ever. I cannot believe that last picture of her--she looks like a six month old!
3.)You look gorgeous and that does not surprise me in the least bit.
4.) I think Callie looks a bit like Matt. What do you think?
5.) The two hour shower and two hours of pushing absolutely blow my mind!
6.) I am dying that we won't get to see her for a long time. Come for Thanksgiving?
7.) We are so happy for you and Matt (and for Bryson and Eliza since they now have a Cook cousin.)
8.) We love you guys!
Love the story Toni, good job with going natural! She is so sweet and her faces are hilarious! congrats momma!
Congratulations!!! Toni- you are awesome for delivering her naturally! It doesn't surprise me at all that you handled a natural delivery so well. You're such a gorgeous new mommy. And wow Callie is adorable and I love that she's a chub! I'm so happy for you guys and your cute little family. Enjoy every moment! Can't wait to see pics as she gets older! Miss you!
OK can we talk about how ridiculously beautiful you look in all of those pictures. Even after your superhero birth story. 2 hours... you're amazing.
Callie is so cute, I had Bailey on my lap when I was looking at your post and she got so excited shouting Baby! pointing to every picture. Clearly they need to meet soon. I hope everything is going well! Miss you and love you!
Post a Comment