Friday, May 20, 2011

Bookworm

We live miles and miles away from family and my husband works til 10pm almost every night (only for the past month. It's usually more like 8pm) so when I get home from work I know I have a couple hours to kill solo. I go to the gym in the morning, I don't watch too much TV, and I can only stand having a warming computer on my lap for so long.  So I've been devouring books (checked out at our local library. I'm all about the public library--the books and people watching are fantastic), taking walks, and trying to work up the courage and motivation to re-visit my sewing machine...

I've decided I should keep tracks of the books I've read. Certain books spark feelings and ideas that are easily forgotten once you've put it back on the shelf.  I love to read and have had ample opportunity this year  to travel through some wonderful books (and some duds--but I will leave those off my list. To each their own...)

I read this late last summer and just couldn't put it down. Growing up my Mom talked about how it was a favorite that she could read over and over. As a kid I thought it looked like a super long book without anything too exciting going on. I was wrong, and I will re-read this book many times throughout my life. There is something special about knowing it was read and loved by my mother, Grandmother, and Great-Grandmother. Lots of lessons to be learned from Scarlett.
I really feel like the Glass Castle should be read with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Amazing how stories so many years apart could ring so similar. Both were heartbreaking and empowering. 




Did you have to read The Great Gatsby in high school? I didn't and I was always curious about it. A quick read it's pretty fascinating. The character development and symbolism is pretty heavy for such a short book but  the nerd in me loves that stuff. 





The Devil in the White City caught my eye when walking through a bookstore. I happen to enjoy things dark and sinister and this looked promising. Though it wasn't as grisly as I had hoped, it has a great serial killer side story and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the history of Chicago's efforts at hosting the World's Fair.  

This has obviously been really popular lately and it was a great story. I'm fascinated by the South. I think I idealize it in my mind since I've never been. But stories of Civil Rights struggles and constant tension are always gripping.



Ahhhh Into the Wild. I remember when this movie came out and I purposely didn't see it because I thought I might want to read the book. And then I forgot about it (although being a huge Pearl Jam fan I did get the soundtrack). So this past week I checked it out and read it all on a Sunday afternoon.
This book has had my mind going non-stop. I've always had a bit of wanderlust in my veins and I enjoy 'going it alone'...at times. This book was a reality check to many fantasies of wilderness adventures. I was so amazed at the different accounts of young men from different generations who all followed the call  to leave society and explore. Some met their demise, some just keep going. Why is it that some just can't handle living in society?  What is it in our varied upbringings that so deeply affects some to the point of preferring isolation? I still have so much I'm thinking through due to this book. I love that.

Finally, these are my current reads. Timeline was recommended to me by my Dad. So far so good. Michael Crichton knows what he's doing when he writes a book.


And the Thirteenth Tale is waiting patiently on my night stand after being recommended to me by A. Swapp:) 

Love a good book! Any recommendations?






6 comments:

the swapps said...

A Swapp! That's me!

Girl - I'm so excited to start plucking away at a lot of these suggestions! Love me a good read. Oh, and add half broke horses to your list. Another by Jeanette walls - loved it just as much as glass castle.

amanda.hall said...

I read Gone With the Wind when I was in high school and I have been wanting to read it again. It has been my favorite ever since I read it!
I definitely would recommend 'These is my words'. I also really loved the Children of the Promise church books.

Bethany said...

oooooo Gone with the Wind has been on my to read list for many many years, I grew up having a mother that said the same thing about that book. Keep on idealizing the South (so glad that segregation is loads better than it was in The Help), Kitch and I are in love with the cooking and charm of the place. We totally want to be authentic southern Bells. Far Pavilions by MM Kay is the same epic length as Gone With The Wind but is about India during the British occupation. Its beautiful. The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas is a powerful book about a roman centurion during the life of Christ. The guernsey literary and potato peel pie society is a really good book too, hate the title cause its way too long but the book is wonderful. Also Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier is creepy good.

Grandma G said...

I have always loved to read - Marcia and I compare books often. At this point I am trying to downsize my library but I always asked my granddaughters if they want any first. I can't believe how many years ago I read "Gone With the Wind". Love you

Jamie said...

I am very pleased with this list. I also want to pick your brain about Devil in a White City. I am dying to hear all the details but am a total wuss and am a fraidy cat.

I love 'These is My Words.' Love it, I tell you! I would highly recommend it.

Brett said...

Do any of these books have scantilly clad women with a lot of explosions???