Finally back to blog and there is a lot to catch up on but I want to start with this 'cause I'm feeling a little sentimental today.
Growing up as the oldest there was a long stretch where I had only sisters. I thought that was what our family was supposed to be because my cousins family was all boys. Those were my brothers, we were their sisters.
Then when I was 10 my mom told me she was going to be having a baby boy. I was stunned, and honestly pretty upset. We have the girls, they have the boys, done deal remember? I don't know if I was upset for long, but I do remember visiting my mom in the hospital after she had my brother. He was rosy and plump and really cute. And when I looked in his eyes I remember thinking, "You are mine."
I realized, being the awkward Tom-boy that I was (and still am) that I would have little buddy to play sports and video games with. Someone to teach how to crack and spit sunflower seeds and play t-ball with.
And we did all that. We had basketball "practice" in our driveway. He'd help me 'kill the bad guys' on Tomb-Raider. We'd sneak attack our sisters with his nerf guns. My sisters and I had a blast having a brother. We loved all the change that having a boy in the house brought.
It's crazy to think that I left home for college when he was only 8 years old.
(I'm sure he doesn't love me posting all these "little guy" pictures but I look equally as awkward in them so I think it's fair!)
Realizing that the end of my high school career also meant the end of my time home with C.J., I asked my parents to get him a tux and bring him to Prom to take pictures with me. My actual "date" had been my best friend since childhood and he thought it would be great since he and C.J. were buddies. Plus all my friends knew and loved having him around so it wasn't as weird as Matt seems to think it would be:) We took pictures, he hung out for a bit and we had a fun time! And yes, my hair and dress were totally in style in Washington haha.
Looking at the pictures from my wedding makes me feel like we must've been married ages ago because C.J. is so much bigger now! Crazy what 4 years can do.
Anyway, now that C.J. is a popular 16 year old high school athlete with a super busy life--I appreciate any and all time we can get together!
Over spring break my parents flew him out to hang out with Matt and I for the weekend. Then C.J. and I would fly to Utah together to visit the rest of our family. Matt and I loved having C.J., such good times.
Waiting at the PH Bart Station
I got to take advantage of the benefits that come with my job with Golden State Warriors. He and Matt came to 2 games that weekend and CJ got down on the court during warmups so I could give him a little tour of the arena.
Next up, the classic SF tourist stop- Alcatraz.
We ended our stop in San Fran by getting dinner at Osha, delicious Thai food right outside Matt's office at the Embarcadero. Volcanic Beef!! Yum.
Anyway, this post has been sufficiently mushy I'm sure but I'm just very, very lucky. People are blessed with all varieties of things in this life but I know without a doubt my greatest blessing and advantage in this life is my family.
Lucky me:)
















2 comments:
UM, your brother grew about 2 feet in 4 years. haha. crazy! Brothers are the best!
This post made me feel old. I still think of CJ as the little boy in all those pictures! And I also think of your reenactment of 'Thwee heads aw bettaw than one' in the mirrors in your bathroom. Is that weird? haha
Next time I'm in Cali can we meet up in the City?? Miss you Toni!
Post a Comment