Is that an oxy-moron? I'm still deciding. I have been busier the past 4 months than I have EVER been in my entire life! It's been crazy. I guess that's what three jobs does to a person. What three? Yes three. And I am so so tired but it has been SO SO awesome.
Job #1 9:00am-3:15pm Marketing Coordinator at a Mortgage company in Danville
Considering my background is in Sports Broadcasting, this has really been a learning experience for me. It's a fairly small office so all of the marketing & communications responsibilities fall on me. Luckily I have a good amount of marketing experience from my producing responsibilities at True Blue. I've been able to apply that experience, but I'm still learning so much about marketing. AND so much about real estate and mortgages! It's really been a blessing having a steady day job that is helping to broaden my resume and develop new skills.
Job #2 3:30-5:15 Assistant High School Varsity Basketball Coach
OH MY GOSH. I've always wanted to coach basketball or volleyball, and having a dad who has a very long resume in coaching I thought I had a clue. It is so much harder than I ever expected. At the same time, it is so much more rewarding than I ever expected. The school is what some would call 'under-privileged'. We had no balls or practice jerseys when we started, but thanks to some local donations (and my dad calling in a few favors) we have the basic necessities now. Even better than that, we've already won 6 more games than they did last year! I've really grown to care for these girls. I learned quickly that it's a LOT more about creating a safe positive environment for them to come to for a couple hours, than about being the best at basketball. (We won both our games this week though! Huge! Only 7 to go)
Job # Public Relations Game-Day Assistant for the Golden State Warriors. 5:30pm-12:30am (give or take traffic!)
(Red Sweater---where's waldo)
Just worked my 23rd game this season Friday night. I have games Mon-Wed-Fri-AND Sun. this week! It's basically all nights and weekends (with a few exceptions) which can get really hard at times. HOWEVER, I have been able to work closely with an NBA team! Dream come true! And I've been able to watch some of the NBA's greatest players: Lebron, Dwayne, Kobe, Blake Griffin, Steve Nash(personal favorite) etc. My favorite part of the job is post-game interviews. I rotate with another PR assistant covering visiting team Coaches so I've been part of the press interviewing Erik Spoelstra, Phil Jackson, Alvin Gentry, Vinny Del Negro, just to name a few. It's really opened my eyes to the lives of professional athletes and coaches, some good some bad. Working with sports is my passion and even though there are some l-o-n-g days (and nights) the experience has been totally worth it.

Also, I've been able to hand stats to Bill Simmons and Bill Walton. This past week I got a head-nod from Larry Bird! Maybe not a big deal to some people, but I loved it.
Anyway, my lack of blogging, responding to phone calls/texts, basically just being MIA is all due to this. Especially days when I get the "Perfect Storm". All 3 jobs on one day. It happens 2-3 times a week and it wrecks me. Then I remind myself how lucky I am to not only be employed, but also have 3 jobs that I enjoy. Plus, it'll only be this crazy for a few more months. High School ball ends beg. of March. Warriors are done end of April (probably--but hopefully not!) and then it is back to one job...until next October:)
I am SO loving California, the 65 degree weather in January, the gorgeous city lights when I drive home at midnight, the knowledge that I could get to a beach in under an hour...I'm totally sold. Yeah it's expensive but count it as a weather tax and I stop complaining.
I'm loving it....but I also can't wait for life to slow down again. SO ready for Spring!! Lucky for me it comes a lot earlier in California than it does in Utah:)
10 comments:
You are amazing! I can't even imagine doing that much in one week! My kids are exhausting but all in all, I get a solid 7-8 hours sleep and manage to work in the occasional 30 power nap during the day! You are such and impressive young woman! Can't wait for things to slow down again for you so that we can spend some time with you.
PS Thanks for the email, we really appreciate it!
HANDING STATS TO BILL SIMMONS. Some might not recognize the hugeness of this.. but I do! I have been trying to get his book signing schedule, my husband and I were going to go to the one in Vegas before it got resheduled. That is awesome!
Toni - I totally should have reached out to you before I went to a Warriors game two weeks ago! My buddy Ty Morley and I went to the Warriors-Clips game and I loved watching Blake Griffin as well.
What a COOL job! I'd love to hear some of the stories.. does Matt get to go to a lot of the games?
Wow Toni! Super woman! You make me feel like I'm doing absolutely nothing with my life. I just felt motivated to start doing at least 2 new things! Good luck.. That's so great you're getting to use your broadcast journalism degree at the NBA level. Lucky you to see all those players from (looked like) a front row seat!
PS- I also coached high school basketball since I graduated from BYU and I totally agree- way more work than I thought (with far less pay than I thought) and it's all about the experience for the girls.
Hope you cam find time to come to Pebble Beach. We are looking forward toit. Love
You are the single hardest working woman in California! Amazing... Dane and I are glad to see Steve Nash on your list of personal favorites, he is no. 1 around our house. My sis is living in your neck of the woods and we might come out to visit that thing you call sunshine sometime, we'd love to see you if your not too busy,which from this post looks like the 3rd Tuesday in July from 6:00 to 7:00 am?:)Good luck with everything!
What an amazing set of jobs!! I got to do marketing for my internship (granted, it was for the Orem Owlz) but I LOVED it! I am soooo jealous you work for the NBA... my dream job!
wow you are super women!! holy smokers. i love steve nash too. he's one of my favs. i bet you are an incredible coach to those girls! who knows where you get all that energy from. few!
wow you are super women!! holy smokers. i love steve nash too. he's one of my favs. i bet you are an incredible coach to those girls! who knows where you get all that energy from. few!
even without the red sweater i could have spotted you. tall, hot, blonde babe in the crowd! wait - did that sound creepy? whatevs, i'll own it.
miss you mucho.
Post a Comment