Sunday, November 21, 2010

Muir Woods

 When we moved to CA Matt and I started a list of things we'd like to do and places we'd like to see. If I had my way every weekend would be a new adventure, but life is just too busy sometimes!  Matt works a pretty long schedule and was recently called to be Young Men's president at church (which also involves Boy Scouts)--so his Saturday's are now either service project days or 'sacred' football days. He deserves the time off so I'm excited when I can convince him to go exploring with me!


A few weekends ago we went to Muir Woods. The drive was really nostalgic for me because as a kid when we'd visit our G&G Stauffer in CA Grandpa would take us to Stinson beach. Muir woods and Stinson beach are basically side by side you come to a fork in the road and choose one or the other. This time we chose the redwood trees over the beach:)
I really enjoyed and needed this excursion. I thought about life, my Grandpa, and how grateful I am for God's beautiful creations. 

Funny how walking amongst giant redwood trees can really put things into perspective and teach you some life lessons.  The tree walks and hikes were beautiful and serene. I thought I'd be cold but it was a balmy 65 the whole day. (In the weather dept. California=1 Utah=0...)




Meg & Stacie--if you read this--doesn't this place remind you of Fern Gully? Haha

With Thanksgiving around the corner I just want to list a few things I'm really thankful for these days. (in no particular order)
*My marriage
*Our families
*Our apartment
*Our ward
*Great weather
*Healthy bodies that can work hard and be active
*Jobs!
*My religion and faith in God
*Wonderful friends
*Good food
*Basketball
*The Holiday Season
...to name just a few 
Life is what you make it and being happy is a choice.  Mainly you have to choose to (try to) be selfless.  I'm not saying it's easy, I'm definitely a repeat offender. But I think the point is to keep trying. I'm refocusing myself on that goal as an early New Year's resolution.


Hope you all are preparing for a lovely Thanksgiving (more to come on ours...).

1 comment:

Jamie and Preston said...

Love muir woods! Have lots of fun memories there as a kid! Good to see you are both taking some time to enjoy the beauty around you, Grandpa would love that. Congrats on the resolution...it's a good one. I've been working on mine and so far all I've come up with is "Exercise at least once in 2011" LOL! Love you!