I wrote a poem for Grandpa a few weeks before he passed. I wasn't going to post it but after Shelly read it during her talk at the funeral, a few people have asked me to share it. I'm glad I wrote it in time for Grandpa to read it.
The back story is that Grandpa always kept this poem by Ogden Nash on the refrigerator:
People expect old men to die,
They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when...
People watch with unshocked eyes;
But the old men know when an old man dies.
I never liked that poem. Maybe I would've if it didn't constantly remind me of the inevitable. So I decided to write a rebuttal.
"Rebuttal to Ogden Nash"
Nash says only old men know when an old man dies,
But I would have to disagree.
For I have known, loved, and learned from an old man
Who passed his last name down to me.
Many a rose has felt his touch,
And flourished in his care.
And to friends in need he has always rushed
To give some comfort there.
He set foot on every continent
Saw all the beauty the world has to offer
But his heart was always most content
With his grandsons and his granddaughters
We built Thanksgiving pyramids,
And picked weeds in his yard for a dime
This old man has had a constant goal
To never waste life’s time.
Patty cakes and peas porridge hot
Mairzy doats and Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
Smelterites we never forgot
Oh Grandpa, there will never be another.
As the years rolled on he held his sweetheart’s hand
and his smiling eyes never faded
His pride and joy of a head full of hair?
Even chemo couldn’t take it.
All the memories that we share,
The stories, sports, and songs,
Generations will know you, when you’re not here
Because we will pass these memories along.
So lest you think only old men know
when an old man’s time is through
I will stand and say that is incorrect
For Grandchildren know it too.



2 comments:
Everything was beautiful! I am so glad that we were able to be a part of something so special. Grandpa truly was with us! Love you!
I'm teary reading that poem. That was beautiful. I had no idea you were a poet. You and Dan share something in common(:
I'm glad you and Matt were able to make it to the funeral. Let's talk soon.
Post a Comment