Friday, October 22, 2010

Grandpa Stauffer

I haven't blogged in awhile because all of my and my family's focus has been on experiencing the last weeks of my Grandfather's life. Matt and I have gone out and done fun things, but all the while on my mind has been my dear Grandfather. 

If I were to blog all the memories I have with him and my Grandmother, it would take a novel. Instead for my own journaling purposes I just want to jot down a few things. 

I am so glad that in college I got to play basketball with him. I'd go visit and spend the night, he'd come tap on my door at 5am and wake me up to go play basketball with men from his Stake. There were plenty of times I felt way too tired (or nervous at being the only girl) but I went anyways and I'm so glad I did. I have such fun memories from those early morning pick-up games. He taught me the number one rule in basketball, "Stay between your man and the basket." I've heard that all my life from him and from my own Father. Funny how it has taken on a double meaning now.
He taught me to appreciate nature and flowers, and to enjoy the hard work of an uphill hike. Lemon trees, freshly mowed grass, roses and the Beach Boys will always remind me of him. 

About a year ago he talked to me and my sister about his Patriarchal Blessing, and how--with some recent genealogical work--he had accomplished everything listed. (I didn't know that was possible!) Missionary work, a strong family, world travels, countless acts of service, and genealogy to name just a few of the things he accomplished here on earth. Then he joked to us, "Well, since I've got all that done it won't be long 'til the Lord calls me home to do more work." He was right. 
My family and I miss him terribly all ready, but that's because we love him so much.  It's going to be really hard for awhile. But we are not sad because we know where he is and that we will see him again. I wish that everyone whoever lost a loved one could have that same assurance. 

Richard Vern Stauffer


Richard Vern Stauffer, “Dick”, of Murray Utah passed away October 21, 2010 after a long and joyful life.

Dick was born in Salt Lake City on August 7 1929 to Vern Henry and Irene Millard Stauffer.  An avid sports fan since childhood, some of Dick’s favorite memories of his youth were spending time with his siblings David, Jerry, Rosalee, and Joni, and playing catch with his father.

He met his one and only sweetheart, Joyce McCleery, when they both attended Murray High School. They had their first date on New Year’s Eve and then fate took over.

After graduation he served a two-year mission for the L.D.S. Church in California. He married Joyce a month after he returned and they began their vibrant journey together as husband and wife.  They had plans to attend BYU, but one week after enrolling they received the draft letter in the mail.

Drafted into the army Dick and Joyce spent time in Fort Lewis Washington, Fort Bliss Texas, and Fort George Meade Maryland. Joyce worked as a GS 2 Clerk, and Dick was a Corporal.

After their time in the service, Dick attended the University of Utah while Joyce worked at a mortgage company.  They soon had their first child, their daughter Richele.

Dick studied Economics and earned his MBA. He got a job with Del Monte In San Francisco and they moved to California, where they would reside for over 30 years. In California, they added two sons to their family, Preston and then Brett. Dick took a job at Riches Research in Palo Alto, and later returned to San Francisco to work for Bechtel. The family moved to Pleasant Hill and made numerous life long friends.

With Bechtel, Dick traveled to over 100 countries and set foot on every continent.
He served as Bishop of the Pleasant Hill Ward, then the High Council, and was then called to be the Branch President of the Cambodian branch. Dick and Joyce loved their time working with the Cambodian people.
Dick and his sons participated in numerous softball, volleyball, and basketball leagues. Many of those games gave way to exciting stories to be told over the years.

Another lifelong passion for Dick was the Boy Scouts organization.  He dedicated innumerable hours of service to the Boy Scouts and was always trying to find the next backpacking or scuba diving trip to go on.  Of his many adventures and 50-mile hikes, he always said Half Dome was his favorite.
One of his last big trips was the John Muir trail up to Mt. Whitney with his Explorer Post.

In 1997 Dick and Joyce returned to their hometown of Murray, Utah. Dick was elected to the Murray City Council, becoming close friends with Mayor Dan Snarr. He has since served on the Murray City Power Board.

 An avid gardener, Dick sanctioned the Murray city Rose Garden and loved working in his yard. He was also a frequent writer of ‘Letters to the Editor’ in the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune. Dick was always ready for a pickup game, a service project, or to entertain a fussy baby.

Dick and Joyce became Sunday Dinner central for all their grandchildren attending BYU, as well as for many friends who came to know them as Grandma and Grandpa Stauffer.

He is survived by his wife, three children, 10 grandchildren, six great grandchildren, 27 nieces and nephews and countless other ‘adopted’ grandkids, who all brought him joy throughout his life.

His motto and parting words of advice to all family and friends,  “Stay between your man and the basket.”

The family wants to express their thanks and gratitude to Alpine Hospice, namely Carol, Janine and Sandy. Words cannot express our love and appreciation to our daughter, Richele, who became her father's medical advocate along with our granddaughters, especially Stacie. They all took such loving care of him.
Donations can be made to the L.D.S. Perpetual Education Fund.

2 comments:

Jamie and Preston said...

Thank you. What beautiful sentiments. Grandpa was indeed a great man who taught me so much about how to be a stronger companion to my spouse. I am so grateful to have had some quiet moments with him before his passing. Love you Toni!

emily+brett said...

it was such a beautiful day on monday. the services really exemplified grandpa and what he was all about. i loved everything your dad said. wasn't it amazing the way the light kept shining through the window. you could feel grandpas love pouring in. what an amazing example he was to us all. love you guys!