Monday, August 30, 2010

Love note.




  • My Dad just wrote this and shared it on his newly-acquired facebook page. ( I had to set one up for him since all his daughters are in college--or CA--and are much easier to communicate with on-line!).

    I just wanted to share it as well because I love the way he wrote it and it's just sweet.

    After dropping Chloe off at BYU...





    "UNFORTUNATELY, THE SHOE BAG WAS MUCH LIGHTER THIS TRIP: Years ago, when my 5 children were young, I noticed that every time we took a family trip there were many shoes stuffed all over the car. I decided to buy a “duffle bag” to pack all the shoes in. Having 4 daughters, there were times when I could barely zip the bag up.



    Over the years, as my children have headed off to college one by one, the shoe bag has become lighter and lighter. As I was packing the car yesterday to return home from dropping off my 4th daughter at college, it dawned on me that the shoe bag barely had any shoes in it at all. The bag that once held dozens and dozens of shoes, shoes that have now lead my daughters on many exciting paths in life, was no longer needed.


  • Now that another precious flower has “left the vase”, I hastily threw the bag in the back of the car. As we drove home, I couldn’t help but look in the rear view mirror and see the bag sitting there, mocking me, knowing that we now share the common trait of being empty inside….

    I love you Chloe."




    • I smiled when I read this remembering when my Dad dropped me off at BYU and just said "Don't Go!" Even though I know there is nowhere he'd rather have his kids be. He always reminded us that high school was small and insignificant and told us to 'rise above it to bigger and better things.'

      Good Advice.

5 comments:

Grandma G said...

I knew your Dad was having a hard time - when he referred to the fact that he had a "hole in his heart". I know I always felt that way when you would all leave to go home. I cried and I still cry, even though my granddaughters are closer to me now. I love you all so much.

Toni S. Cook said...

Grandma, I still hate leaving you and Grandpa!! You've been my home away from home for so many years now. I miss you both everyday. Love you.

the swapps said...

don't worry - totally got misty reading this. thanks, brett. what a jerk. ;)

Lindsey said...

oh that's too cute. I'm a total daddy's girl too!

Nat-a-baby said...

Wow, how very poetic your dad is! That's sweet and makes me sad for my own Dad who has sent his daughters off to college.