Sunday, December 6, 2009

Football=Surgery

Basically this is a cautionary tale. Not for guys that play intramural football, but for girls who were raised constantly hearing the phrase "walk it off" or "just put some rubbing alcohol on it and it will be fine" (dad).
My wonderful sports enthusiast husband plays sports any chance he gets. This fall he was playing on an intramural football team, as usual.





About a month ago, after a particularly intense game, he was pretty banged up. Huge bloody scrapes on his forearms and knee (cue "just put some rubbing alcohol on it...") and he thought he sprained is finger pretty bad because it was swollen and he couldn't move it. I was the loving attentive wife...for about a week. But when I'd go to hold his hand and he'd switch because he said his finger hurt, I started giving him a hard time thinking a sprain couldn't hurt that bad. All in all I gave him a hard time for a good couple weeks and finally he decided to go to the doctor. That was this past Wednesday. Well he came home with this X-Ray, which basically made me realize I'm a total jerk.



He had a piece of bone completely broken of from his finger, stuck in a tendon and the top bone in his finger (accurate medical terms, I know) was broken pretty bad as well. Yikes. To sum up this already long story, we found out it was broken Wednesday, he had to have surgery Friday.

Pre-surgery Matt.


Post-surgery-totally-high-and-unaware-of-what-he-said-to-the-nurses Matt. .

To the nurse "Where is my shirt?"
Nurse," You are wearing the gown, but we had to unbutton one shoulder for the doctor to move your arm."
Matt:"You sure that's the only reason you were taking my clothes off?"

Nurse taking Matt's temperature: "Well, your temp. has cooled off a little, that's good."
Matt: "It's because I'm a vampire."

There were a few others but I'll save them for another time

Oh and he definitely does NOT remember flexing for this picture, nor does he remember the drive home from the hospital.


This whole event was obviously nothing too serious, but I have to say it was a weird experience for me. My mind wandered to some pretty bad places when I was sitting next to him while he was laying on the hospital bed. It made me realize-- I am very grateful for Matt Cook. Grateful that he makes me laugh all the time, grateful that he is smart and SO driven, grateful that I get to feel like a teenager girl cheering on my star athlete boyfriend when I watch him play sports, and then go home and be his wife, grateful for his dashing good looks and winning personality, grateful to know that he is mine and I am his forever.

Sorry to top this post off with that cheese but I just felt the need to think it, say it, write it. He'll be out for 4-6 weeks and has been 'Vicodin Matt' this weekend (I have video proof--but that is a post for another time) but has been handling everything like a champ.

4 comments:

Grandma G said...

Well, I guess hospitals are okay if you need them. But I can avoid them very easily. If I am careful. Poor Matt - he put up with a lot of pain before getting the surgery. Hope all goes well. Love -Grandma S

Angela and Mike said...

hahaha, I love that Matt said those things to the nurse. Too funny. I'm having surgery this week, and I'll have to be careful what I say! Matt is a champ. Glad the surgery is over with.

Sarah Nelson said...

You are definitely allowed to write sweet (or in your words, cheesy) things about your husband, especially in this situation. Plus, you had enough HILARIOUS stuff to balance it all out... I'm STILL laughing about what he said! Glad he is okay though. I'll definitely think twice before saying "walk it off" now. :)

Grandpa 2009 said...

Matt broke his fingoh. Ahhh and he had to go to the hospitoll too. Me thinks Matt should just shake it off.
I have broken two fingers in my life and I just put a little epsom salt on em and MANNED UP! Intermural football? Isn't that non-contact? LOL!! Love you, hope to see you in January.

Grandpa 2009 or in your case it is Uncle 2009